There's always lots going on within a short walk of the house. Here's a few suggestions (red letter indication website links).
Rose Park: having recently undergone a $1.5 million renovation, Rose park offers lots of activities including tennis and basketball , playgrounds, and ball field. Outdoor movies and concerts regularly scheduled in the summer and announced with banners at the park.
Georgetown Waterfront: take a nice walk down to the Potomac River. From there, you can stroll along the Potomac down past the Kennedy Center to the monuments. The C&O Canal is under renovation but the footpath still offers a nice stroll.
- Georgetown Waterfront Park: the park is a great place to relax along the river and in the summer, water splashing is a favorite activity for kids (and adults) to get refreshed by the park's water jet fountains .
- Washington Harbor: also along the waterfront (next to the park) you'll find restaurants and bars with views of the river. In the winter, the central fountain is converted into a full-service ice skating rink.
Blues Alley: a jazz dinner-and-nightclub in an alley off Wisconsin Avenue, they offer 360 nights of world class jazz. Two shows a night, you can have a full dinner, late night fare, or sit at the bar. Seating is first come first serve but you do need to buy your tickets in advance.
AMC Lowes Georgetown: Offering first run movies, Georgetown has it's own 14 screen multiplex at 3111 K Street, just across the street from the waterfront.
West End Cinema: at 2301 M St NW (the entrance is on 23rd St), this 3-screen arthouse movie theater always has a eclectic variety of independent and foreign films.
US Parks Department: visit the Visitor's Center at the Stone House on M Street to pick up one of their self-guided tours or check the schedule of great walking tours of Georgetown led by park rangers.
The Kennedy Center (www.kennedy-center.org): the Kennedy Center is included here because it's just a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute walk.
- Arguably one of the best performing arts center in the world, make sure to plan ahead and see what's schedule during your stay. Tickets can be purchased on line.
- Every day at 6pm, Millennium Stage offers a free performance of music, theater, dance, and more. CLICK HERE for this month's schedule.
- Don't forget to combine your Kennedy Center visit with a drink next door at the Watergate Hotel's rooftop bar. CLICK HERE for more info.